Monday, March 1, 2010

Braided Bread


I use the same recipe as the yummy moist white bread only I braid it instead.

1 pkg yeast (or 1 full tablespoon of yeast)
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 cup warm water
1 (12 oz.) can Evaporated milk (or 1 1/2 cups milk)
1/4 cup warm water
1/4 cup melted shortening
1/4 cup honey (you can sub. with sugar)
2 tsp. salt
6 cups flour

Mix yeast, sugar and warm water. Let stand for 10 minutes. Add milk, water, shortening, honey, salt and 2 cups of flour. Mix well. Add the rest of the flour. Sometimes I have to add more flour to make it not sticky. Knead (I knead it in my Bach) for a few minutes. Let rise until doubled in size. Knead by hand for a few minutes to get the air bubbles out. Divide into 3 parts (for the 3 loaves). Spray cookie sheet with Pam. Take each of the three parts and braid each part (you'll end up with 3 braided breads and you'll have to roll the 3 braids out like snakes). Let rise for about 1/2 hour. Bake @ 350 degrees for 25 minutes. You will know when it's done when the bread is a nice golden brown on the outside and if you lick your finger and touch the hot pan it will sizzle when it's done (it won't hurt).
This recipe if from my sister-in-law CheyAnne. You can also modify it with a more orangy flavor (I'll have to play with that one for a little bit).
I make the braided bread for my neighbor gifts before Christmas time. They love it! Makes 3 braided loaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment