Sunday, February 28, 2010

Jumbo Pumpkin (Pecan) Muffins

*Regular size on the left muffin, and the Jumbo muffin on the right.
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 cup of buttermilk (you can make your own buttermilk)
1/4 cup oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Topping: (optional for a healthier version, but it does taste yummy)
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup cold butter

In a large bowl, combine the first 7 ingredients. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, pumpkin, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in pecans. Fill six greased or paper lined jumbo muffin cups 3/4 th's full.

Topping: In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, pecans, and flour; cut in butter with a pastry cutter until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter.

Bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yields 6 jumbo muffins. Bake for 16 minutes (check to see if the fork comes out clean) for regular size muffins. This recipe is from Brooke's Mom.

I can get 2 cups of canned pumpkin and double the recipe (for 12 large muffins) and I can get 6 (regular size) muffins with the left over muffin mix then, I had 3/4 cup (of the Libbie's pumpkin mix) left over so I froze it, to have for pumpkin pancakes for another day. I figure if I am going to be going to all that effort I might as well get as many muffins as I can out of that one can of pumpkin. I freeze the extra muffins for another time too.

No comments:

Post a Comment